brink :: central saint martins graduate show
Katie | July 11, 2013
By now I’m hoping you’ll all have heard of BRINK – it’s a new graduate design show as part of the London Design Festival that I’m collaborating with Tent London on. There will be university and graduate collective stands (more on those very soon!) and I’m curating a selection of graduate designs that have really caught my eye this year. Before I make my final decisions, I thought I’d share some of the things I’ve seen on the way.
- Firstly, it was great just to finally see inside the new CSM building in King’s Cross – it’s incredible!
- Jing Tao was “questioning the order of furniture”
- Sleep More Grow More by Kevin La responds to your sleeping patterns and only gets watered if you sleep well, tapping into the psychology that people often find it easier to look after someone or something else than themselves.
- The Triangulation Stool by Judith Berger was part of a brief for Very Good and Proper and I think she’s captured their brand aesthetic wonderfully.
- The ceramics course seemed particularly strong this year. I loved Sophie Cobb‘s ceramics with their incredibly simple decoration. She says of the Pick, Mix and Match dishes pictured “I consider it fundamental to turn ‘ the everyday object’ into special moments.”
- Underneath Xiaoqi Zhang’s work is “inspired by collective memories of melted sugar.”
- I absolutely loved Brazilian born Carolina Peraca‘s Marbled Boxes, each of which she’d placed something inside to reward the curiosity of those who lifted the lids.
- And finally, Ann Mercer’s cityscapes of vases were beautifully geometric.
BRINK will be at East London’s Truman Brewery 19th – 22nd September 2013 in the fabulous Loading Bay Gallery. If you or your university is interested in taking part, please email [email protected]. And I’ll be posting weekly updates as the show develops, so watch this space!